Updated on: 15 October, 2018
The Topmarks website (www.topmarks.co.uk), our blog (blog.topmarks.co.uk) and our apps such as Hit the Button Maths are owned and operated by Topmarks Online Ltd.
We take privacy seriously at Topmarks and this policy explains what personal information we collect and use, and how we protect your rights to privacy. By providing us with any information about yourself when you contact us or use our websites, you consent to allow us to process your personal information as per this Policy.
How we use your information
Visitors to our Websites
We use four types of cookies on Topmarks.
- Service Cookies that help us make our website work as efficiently as possible, for instance to only show the cookie consent banner when you first visit our sites.
- Google Analytics Cookies that anonymously remember your computer or mobile device when you visit our website. Google Analytics is a third-party service which collects standard internet log information to determine patterns of visitor behaviour. This information is processed in a way which does not identify anyone personally. We use it to find out how many people use our resources, in order to help us improve our sites.
- Cloudflare Cookies may be used to help identify malicious visitors to our websites and to reduce the chance of legitimate users from being blocked from accessing our websites. Cloudflare is a third-party service which protects against cyber-attacks such as a Distributed Denial of Service attack.
Third-Party Advertising Cookies
- Within the European Economic Area (EEA) we do not use or allow any third-party personalised advertising cookies on our sites. We do use Google Adsense to deliver advertising and as such Google use non-personalised cookies to allow for frequency capping, aggregated ad reporting and to combat fraud and abuse.
Traffic and Security
Our websites use the third-party Cloudflare network to mitigate the security risks for our users during cyber-attacks. Cloudflare processes online identifiers such as your IP address to help identify malicious visitors to our websites and to reduce the chance of legitimate users from being blocked from accessing our websites.
Personal data that you may provide when using our websites
- We log the search queries that you make on our sites to help us to detect and prevent malicious activity against our sites. The logs are deleted within two months.
- We do not collect and store your birth date on our Chinese Zodiac calculator. We only use your birth date to determine the Chinese Zodiac animal for the given date. We do not share your birth date or Chinese Zodiac animal with any third parties.
- We have discontinued email newsletter sign-ups and have deleted our mailing list of email addresses that users had previously provided to us. We have decided to take this action since GDPR would require us to implement a complex system of parental consent and proof of age, since many of our users are under 13 years old. If you wish to keep up to date with news from Topmarks, please follow our blog, Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Links to Other Websites and Social Media
Users of Our Apps
Topmarks does not collect or share any personal data about you via our apps. All pupil data is stored locally on your device so only you have access to the profile information. Our apps have no adverts, no in-app purchases or external links.
People Who Contact Us
When you email us or contact us on our websites with questions or support requests, you provide your name and email address, as well as details of your query. This data is emailed to us and we use it only to deal with your specific query, after which time your details are deleted. We do not share the personal data that you provide with any third parties.
Protecting your information
We take steps to protect your personal information from unauthorised access using generally accepted security measures. The measures and safeguards include limiting access to the data to those persons who need it to complete their work for Topmarks, encrypting web traffic and emails which may include personal data using Transport Layer Security (TLS), using firewalls and anti-virus software to protect computer systems, and storing personal information in secure operating environments. That said, Topmarks cannot and does not guarantee and does not accept liability for unintentional disclosure.
The personal data that we collect and process is stored within the European Economic Area (EEA).
Your rights to access your personal data
You have the right to see the personal data we hold about you and to ask us to:
- Make any changes to ensure that any personal data we hold about you is accurate and up to date.
- Erase or stop processing any personal information we hold about you where there is no longer a legal ground for us to hold it.
- Transfer any information we hold about you to a specified third party.
If you wish to do this, please contact us.