Paint a Pig Rock for Chinese New Year
Whether you call it Year of the Boar or Year of the Pig, this animal is the 12th in the Chinese zodiac. Celebrate the New Year for 2019, with this fun craft activity. Follow our simple step-by-step guide for children to make a painted pig, today!
You will need:
- White air-dry modelling clay, or smooth, clean stone
- Acrylic craft paints – pink, red, black (white, optional)
- Self-adhesive wobbly eyes
How to create your pig:
- Use white air-dry modelling clay to form your rock into a rounded shape, or find a smooth, clean, dry stone to decorate. Make sure the clay is fully hardened before you begin painting. Paint all over with pink paint and allow to fully dry.
- Choose which side will be the top surface. The underside will probably be flatter. Use a darker pink paint colour for painting an oval snout and small triangles for ears, as in the photograph. Allow to fully dry.
- Add a curly tail to the other end of the rock using a small paintbrush and the dark pink paint. Allow to fully dry.
- Carefully add two dots onto the pig’s snout for nostrils using black paint.
- When the paint is fully dry, stick the pig’s eyes onto the head above its snout.
If you would like to leave your pig outside in a garden, it is a good idea to protect it with an outdoor varnish. We recommend this is an activity to be completed in a well-ventilated area, by an adult.